FLAVORS OF DANCE
‘After the Ballet’ pastry
It’s midnight in Paris and the Ballet just ended. You leave the theatre and smell the sweet smell of baked treats. What is your favorite bakery treat?
- Unfold the defrosted (but still refrigerator cold) puff pastry sheet on a piece of parchment paper
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet in both directions to create a slightly flatter and even surface
- Evenly cover the surface of the puff pastry with the jam
- Fold the long sides of the puff pastry towards the center so they go halfway to the middle. Fold them again so the two folds meet exactly at the middle of the dough. Then fold 1 half over the other half.
- Put the folded puff pastry in the freezer for 30 minutes to allow the butter to harden before cutting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices, this should yield approx. 25 hearts
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The hearts are done baking when they're golden and will continue to harden as they cool
- Transfer hearts to a cooling rack
- Store in an airtight container